Saturday, July 16, 2022

Power Steering, Master Cylinder, Parking Brake, and More

I've decided to tackle a few new projects with the Mustang.  

The Raybestos master cylinder (# MC36440) I purchased many years ago has leaked at the lid since it was installed.  I've tried several adjustments to the retaining bar and the lid itself with no success.  The leak causes brake fluid to drip onto the firewall, steering column, and Z bar resulting in wrinkled or missing paint.  I'll be cleaning up this mess and installing a Wilwood master cylinder (260-14157).  The Wilwood is made to fit my model Mustang, has the same 15/16" bore, is lighter, and has a lid which firmly attaches.  Unfortunately, it will require replacing some of the brake lines to the proportioning valve to install.


I've long wanted to install power steering on the Mustang but have just waited due to the cost.  To properly clean up everything, I need to remove most of the steering column.  I decided I'd go ahead and install a Borgeson 999020 power steering system.  This will add some time to the job but there is no better time to do it than now.  I'm hopeful that it works well with the Classic Auto Air system and my exhaust.  

The Borgeson system does not work well with the factory Z-bar so I ordered a replacement from OpenTracker.  This reinforced model has a different curvature to clear the Borgeson unit.  The kit comes with Heim join rods and all new parts.  The full kit is shown to the left with the items I removed today on the right.  So far, I know the dust boot no longer fits the small diameter of the clutch peddle shaft and I expect I'll need to dent the exhaust some to clear this larger z-bar.  However, it looks built extremely solid.


So far, I've removed the master cylinder, steering column, and z-bar setup.  The original steering box will need to come out next.  Afterwards, I'll need to do some clean up, sanding, and painting of the firewall before new items can be installed.  


This project really started with plans just to fix the parking brake lever but it seems to have expanded quickly.  

No comments: