Saturday, July 16, 2022

Searching for the Current Paint Color

 After receiving an incredible quote to paint the Mustang, I've begun to consider different options.  One of those is to try determine the current paint color again as it might allow for additional possibilities.

I visited a local paint shop last week with a piece cut from the original front valence.  I used a section that was protected by the front license plate.  The shop indicated they had the machine to scan the color to identify it but that they preferred to first look through PPG color books to find a match.  I left the panel and commented that I was told the paint was an early 1990's GM color.  

I received a call yesterday indicating they had identified the color as PPG 5357 which has the name Intense Blue Pearl which was used from 1998 to 2003 by Chrysler.  He went on to state the OEM color code was B3 but with some research is seems that PB3 is Intense Blue Pearl so perhaps I misheard or the guy misspoke.  He then gave me the following pricing for 8 oz indicating it would be reduced to 16 oz which is enough for one fender (only 12 oz or so would be needed).
     Shop line - $49.92
     Deltron - $116.72

What doesn't add up, if this is the paint color, is the timing of when the paint was available.  I sear the guy I purchased the car from stated it was painted in the early 90s which matched the failed clearcoat on the car when I purchased it.  For this to be the color, the earliest it could have been painted was in 1997-8.  That would be 10 years before I purchased the car.  That doesn't fit the timeframe very well unless it was exceptionally cheap paint. 

I found the paint color in a Duplicolor spray can at AutoZone.  I purchased it to do a bit of testing.  Surprising, it is extremely close in color.  If anything, it might be slightly darker but without a clear coat over it matching what is on the car it might cause it to look a little darker depending on the light.  

No comments: