Sunday, July 3, 2022

Oil Change, Transmission Leak, & Fixing Rattles

Over the last few days, I've spent a little time fixing some small rattles on the Mustang and cleaning it up a little.  The rattles I've worked on include emblems with missing barrel clips, a loose rear bumper bracket, and a missing bolt from the front lower valence.  There is no doubt more rattles but I'll have to track them down.  

I changed the oil and put in Valvoline VR1 10w30 and a Wix 51515 oil filter.  The oil was changed not too long ago in terms of mileage but I wanted to switch from Lucas to the VR1 oil.  If I watch Amazon, I can get it cheaper than the Lucas Hot Rod oil and I expect it provides better protection.  

I then switched to working on the transmission which I believe it leaking a little from the drain plug and the output seal.  I put some Permatex thread sealant on the drain plug and reinstalled it.  I used a Master Pro 7692S output seal with a little Permatex Ultra Grey RTV around the metal edge.  I would have used a Temkin or National brand seal but none were available locally.

I noticed what looks to be a small coolant leak.  The only evidence is a small run line down the lower hose and a spot on the front anti-roll bar were it ate off the paint.  I've tightened the c;amps and will see if I can find anything else that is a potential source of the leak.  

No comments: