Monday, March 27, 2023

HRPT Prep 10 - Transmission Installation (Part 2)

Today, I resumed work on the transmission install by putting in the driveshaft.  This seems like an easy job but for the first time ever... it certainly wasn't.  Despite countless efforts to slide the yoke into the tail housing, it just simply would not go on more than just a few millimeters.  I used a small triangle file to clean any burs off the output shaft and the yoke but still had no luck.  

I test fit the yoke into the old transmission and it slid in without any difficulty.  I ultimately took off the yoke completely and found it would slide on just fine but had to have perfect alignment.  Since I knew it would ultimately go together, I used my press to put the yoke back on the driveshaft.  

To make it go together, I had to take the front of the car off jacks, jack up just one side, and then it still took some time.  It still seemed to bind but I put the transmission in neutral and ultimately had it slide on smoothly after quite a bit of patience.  This might be just how tight the tolerances are with a new transmission but it is certainly new to me.

With that done, I filled the transmission with Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF.  As usual, I made a huge mess but I got it done and then put thread sealer on the fill plug and put it back into place.  It is good to now have the car back off jack stands.  The hard part is done and now I've got quite a few loose ends to complete.

I'm going to need to wait to do more work as I need to order a few items from Summit.  I'm going to take the rest of the evenings this week too list some parts I need to sell (previous T-5, California Pony Cars bellhousing adapter, OpenTracker Z-bar linkage, and a few other items).  

No comments: