Sunday, March 19, 2023

HRPT Prep 8 - T5 Bellhousing & Block Plate Arrive

The T5 bellhousing is slightly different than the original bell housing.  The most notable difference is that the original bell housing extends farther below the vehicle.  The original block plate is then no longer a good fit.  WIth this in mind, I not only purchased a new T5 bell housing but also a new block plate.

The block plate I purchased is a Ford model that is listed as part number M-7007-B on the Summit website but it has part number F4ZE-6A stamped into the part itself.  It is .080" thick just like the original.  If you lay the original over it, all the bolts holes, crank provision, and starter indexing hole match the original perfectly.  I put a quick coat of paint on it last night with some Rustoleum primer followed by Duplicolor DE1606 Dark Ford Blue paint.



The bellhousing I ordered is also a Ford product with part number M-6392-E but there are no identifying marks on the housing itself.  The part arrived in good shape and will no doubt do the job but I'm surprised by how rough the casting is and the transmission isn't really much different.  If you were handling them with bare hands, you would tear your hands up and perhaps even cut yourself.  I'm not sure if I will try to do anything about it before installing them.

To finish it off, I purchased a clutch fork cover to go on the new T5 bellhousing.  I ended up with one sold by Daniel Carpenter (E6ZZ-7513-A).  Unfortunately, it does not fit the bellhousing well so I'm going to need to do a little work on it a bit so it fits. 

I'm not waiting on any other parts to continue with reassembly.  However, I started feeling a bit sick yesterday and have been taking it easy today.  I've had the last week off work but return tomorrow and would rather not be sick on my first day back.

No comments: