Wednesday, March 15, 2023

HRPT Prep 6 - Exhaust Gaskets & Other Small Items

To install the power steering system a few months back, I had to remove the header from the driver side to get the new steering box into place.  When I originally installed the header and collector gaskets, I coated both the header and collector gaskets with a high temp sealant.  When I removed the header, it was apparent I should replace all the gaskets too.  I purchased both a Fel-Pro header gasket set (#FEL-1467) and the collector set (#FEL-2001) but only installed the driver side header gasket.  Today, I finished off installing the rest of the gaskets.

Doing this job with the transmission out made it quite a bit simpler.  I can really easily get to the exhaust bolts at the header collectors.  I was able to use a wire wheel to clean all the mating surfaces really well (collector and header) and cleaned them all with paint thinner.  I then put it all together using ARP header bolts (#100-1102) and new hardware for the collectors.  This time, I only used Permatex Optimum Max Temp Gasket Maker (#27038) on the collector gaskets.

While it was apart, I checked the O2 bung to ensure there were no issues with the welds as I've come a long way since I originally welded it into place.  Everything looks solid so I should be in good shape if I decide to upgrade to EFI for Power Tour.  This picture is from before the new gasket and hardware. 


Aside from exhaust work, I removed and cleaned the flywheel, block off plate, and wiped down some oil that was at the back of the engine from a leaky oil pan and from leaking valve cover gaskets.  I'll be working on the small oil leaks a little later as they are an annoyance.

Unfortunately, I also learned that the new Tilton slide-on throw out bearing will not work with my original bellhousing with California Pony Cars T-5 adapter.  The T-5 adapter reduces the size of the opening that the input shaft is slid into.  The Tilton unit is mounted to the input shaft when installed and it is too large to fit through the reduced size opening.  It seems the only solution is to switch to a T-5 bellhousing with matching block plate.  Sadly, I realized this after I cleaned up and repainted my current block plate.



No comments: