Tuesday, March 14, 2023

HRPT Prep 4 - Hydraulic Clutch (Part 2)

The next part of the hydraulic clutch install requires that I remove the transmission to install a slip-on, throw out bearing by Tilton.  I could have used a slave cylinder setup but I don't have a T-5 bellhousing.  I considered buying one but then I'm still using mechanical levers to actuate the throw-out bearing so I figured I'd just really do this job fully.  

This is much more of a process than when you just think about it briefly while sitting in your recliner.  I removed the driveshaft retaining bolts, drained the transmission fluid, and then removed the driveshaft, shifter boot, shifter lever, floormats, sill plates, shifter, crossmember, speedometer cable, reverse switch, and then the transmission itself.

With the transmission out, I took the opportunity to inspect more by removing the pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, and the block off plate.  The goal was to find out where I was leaking oil from as it consistently is running down the back of the block off plate.  As best I can tell, it is coming from the valve covers and the back of the oil pan.  Above the crank it all dry which I would expect to have some oil on it if the rear main seal were bad.  I expect it all just runs down and back eventually getting on the block plate and running to the lowest point to drip off.



The flywheel is in really good condition and the original resurfacing marks are still present.  The pressure plate and the clutch are also in great shape.  I used all ARP bolts and I don't see anything to keep me from cleaning them up a bit and reusing them.



Before I put everything back together with the new throw out bearing in place, I'm going to clean everything and paint the block off plate.  While the flywheel and pressure plate seem clean, the inside of the bellhousing is covered with a light layer of what appears to be oil.  I'm sure when I'm driving it comes off the block plate and ensure up running inside the bellhousing.



No comments: