Thursday, March 16, 2023

HRPT Prep 7 - New T5z Transmission

My new Tremec T5z transmission (1352-0251) arrived today by FedEx.  This is the first really large part of this type that I've ordered.  My first time to open something like this up from a wooden crate.  




Aside from opening the transmission and admiring it, I did not get much work done today.  I swapped the shifters from my original and the new transmission.  My existing shifter is a Pro 5.0 clone with short throw and stops to prevent over shifting which I prefer to the simple stock shifter.  I cleaned the housings and shifters up well with paint thinner and 0000 steel wool and sealed them with a thin layer of Permatex 82180 Ultra Black RTV.  

My particular rear gear and tire size combination works best with a 6 or 7 tooth speedometer gear inside the transmission.  The T5z comes with a 7 tooth gear which requires a 21 tooth external gear.  I'll need to pick one up as I've been using an 18 tooth gear with the 6 tooth gear that was in my last T5 transmission.

I expect to end up selling the old T5 transmission and the California Pony Parts adapter plate that I used to mount the T5 to my original toploader bell housing.  I plan to wait to list them until I get the transmission fully installed and know that I will not have any reason to switch back to the old setup.  I'll keep the toploader bell housing and store it with the original transmission in the event I ever want to return to stock.

No comments: