Friday, June 9, 2023

HRPT Day 1 - Headed to Louisiana

My son and I started our HRPT trip by heading to Lake Charles, Louisiana after work today.  We ended up leaving at about 5:20 with a starting odometer reading of 5506.  We drove roughly an hour and a half before stopping to eat at Five Guys.  The entire time we were under 195 degrees but mostly right at 180 degrees with the A/C on.  The new T-5 is working well and the lower RPM in 5th makes it a little quieter at highway speeds.

We had our first issue with the headlights not working in Beaumont.  I tested the fuses, headlight switch (have a spare), and high beam switch.  I ultimately found it was a problem with the Redline Lumtronix relay setup I purchased to run the headlights off relays to provide straight battery power failed.  I could hear the relays click when turning on the headlights but the high and low beams would not work.  The kit did not require that I cut anything so I was able to find one of the stock sockets and connected it and finished the last hour of the drive with just the one headlight.  

We stopped here to get the headlight repaired.  No one was around and it had some nice lights so I just pulled up between two of the parking blocks as near the front doors, and the light, as possible.


I left the kick panel, sill plate, headlight trim rings, and headlight wiring apart and just finished the drive.  I put to all back together the following morning at the hotel.  I can't connect the driver side headlight as I removed the pigtail that connects from the stock crossmember wiring to the headlight when I installed the kit.  I can make something but don't expect to drive more at night.  I might do that one evening in the hotel.

While stopped, we filled up with gas (9.285) gallons and then finished off the drive.  The car ran find but the roads were horrible from Beaumont on to Lake Charles.  They are all under construction and at points I-10 went down to just one lane.  That wasted some time but we made it to the hotel at about 10:30.  Our final milage for the day was 5738.

Picture from the following morning when leaving the hotel in Lake Charles.


No comments: