Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rear Brake Adjustment & Gas Gauge

When I replaced the rear brakes, I set the shoes so they did not contact the drum. I then drove around the block some and found a road without houses. I drove backwards and applied the brakes a few times as I was always told this sets the adjusters to the appropriate clearance between the shoes and drums.

I posted on the Vintage Mustang Forum a few days ago about my brake pedal feel. I always assumed the brake pedal would firm up once I replaced the rear brakes. However, it did not really make any difference. I did not have much pedal feel for the first half of the movement but could still lock up all the brakes with little effort.

The responses I received stated I needed to set the shoe/drum clearance so they slightly drag. I did this yesterday morning and then took the Mustang for a drive. This made a big difference and the brake pedal now has the firm feel I expected.

Today I worked on the gas gauge a little more. It has never been correct but I've ruled out all the components leaving the need to adjust the sending unit. I worked on it for about three hours this afternoon. My current setup shows 1/8 tank when there about 4 gallons of fuel. It shows 1/4 tank with 6 gallons. I filled up the rest of the way and it now goes way beyond full. I guess it is better than before when it showed 1/2 full and then dropped to empty when the tank was still half full.

No comments: