Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rear Brakes & General Update

I've received the G-Tuner and Holley carburetor. I tried out the G-Tuner in my Accord just to see how it works (recorded an amazing 17.85 quarter mile). I plan to use it in the Mustang before installing the carburetor. I can then use it again afterwards to keep track of improvements.

I've took out the rear axles a few weeks ago to replace the wheel bearings. To complete the project, I needed to order gaskets for the axles. I ordered them from NPD and decided to go ahead and buy parts for the rear brakes as the shipping would not change.

My plan is to replace the rear brakes and bearings at the same time. I would like to remove the rear axle and restore the entire axle. However, I believe it would begin to landslide and I don't have the money for a gear change and trac-lok. I'll stop at the brakes and then just install the carburetor next.

Today, I cleaned the axles and brake backing plates. I painted them with Rustoleum 7776 which is a flat black color. The backing plates were covered in grease, dirt, and brake fluid. They took a while to clean up. The paint takes a while to dry so I'll either install everything tomorrow or over a few nights next week. I'll post pictures of everything then as well.

No comments: