Thursday, July 23, 2009

Brake Pedal Squeak

My brake pedal squeaks when I press it. I'm not sure why but decided I would find out tonight.

I was under the dash applying the brake and could not really place the sound. I knew it was not from the master cylinder which is good. I decided I would take off the brake light switch to see if it would help. If not, I would just keep going until I found the culprit. Fortunately, it was the brake light switch.

I depressed the switch while off the car but it did not squeak. I covered it with a little WD-40 but suspected it would just all evaporate and the problem would resurface. I decided to use something a little thicker. I had a small tube of disc brake lubricant which I put on it. I was going to just through it away but it is slippery and stays in place. I put the switch back on and the squeak was gone.

No comments: