Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tightening Shifter Bolts

When I drive down the road, the shifter rattles. I know it is attached with two bolts. I was concerned they were loose so I pulled up the sill plates, kick panels, and carpet to tighten the bolts.

Once I had everything apart, I noticed the bolts were tight. I took the shifter out and found it is because the trunions on each side are badly worn. A rebuild set is about $20. Since I've been considering a T5 transmission and it would cost another $10 to get the parts here, I put it back together.

I made up some insulators from thick vacuum hose. The bolts which mount the shifter side through them. They did not make much difference but they were better than what was left of the originals.

I've made some progress this week with a few small projects. After thinking about performance parts so much lately, I drove around the block last week. I noticed several small things not right with the car and found I was moving away from the goal with my thoughts of performance. I'm working to take care of these things so the car will run as it should.

No comments: