Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pedal Restoration

I started work on restoring the pedals from the Mustang this morning. It appears the bottom portion of the brake and clutch pedal were dipped in paint at the factory. The top part were left unfinished which caused them to be covered in a surface rust.

I started by replacing the pedal shaft on the brake pedal. It had work from years of use as shown in the picture below. I purchased a replacement shaft from CJ Pony parts a few days ago. The original had a tab which was press fitted into the brake pedal assembly and then hammered so it would flare out and not come lose. I welded the new one in place.



I used a wire wheel to remove all the old paint and surface rust from the pedals. Once they were ready for paint, I covered them in Rusoleum Rusty Metal Primer and then Krylon Satin Black paint. They turned out looking pretty good.



You will notice the actual pedal portion of the assembly in the picture above is different. I used rubber pads in the past which slide over the metal pads. The clutch one always falls off. I've used a few different things to glue it on but nothing works very well. I had some adhesive black grit paper which is normally used on stairs. It is really thin so I cut some to fit perfectly on the pad faces. I'll likely use them like this at first and if it does not work out, I can always reinstall the rubber pedal covers.

No comments: