Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Performing the Shelby/Arning Drop

I performed the Shebly drop on my front suspension today. This involves removing the shocks, springs, and then the upper control arms.  The mounting holes for the upper control arm are then relocated 1” down perpendicular to the centerline of the original UCA mounting. This was something planned by Ford (Klaus Arning) during the design of the Mustang but it was actually not performed so the car would understeer if pushed to the limit.


This was a change made by Shelby on the GT350 cars. I took on the project since I'm just standing around waiting for the motor to be rebuilt.  While I had the springs out, I removed a 1/4 coil from my front coil springs to drop the ride height slightly.  Although the car is back together, I can't see the difference yet as the engine is not in the vehicle.



The Shelby drop is highly recommended as it lowers the center of gravity on the front of the car, reduces body roll by 7% to 9%, and improves the camber curve.  I often read of the benefits on Mustang forums but waited as I really did not want to drill non-stock holes in the engine compartment.  While I've not departed an incredible amount from stock, I'm no longer as worried and would perfer the drive improvements.

1 comment:

Drop Suspension said...

Then it would have improved handling. Stability is also increased. Nice work.