Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More Expensive Decisions

I decided to work on the cooling system before restarting the Mustang.

I've still using the original 2 core brass/copper radiator.  If you look in the filler neck, you can see some chunks of rust slightly blocking some of the tubes.  I wanted to use the radiator as long as I could and I think that day is today.  Honestly, I doubt it will be able to keep this new engine cool anyway when driving.

I did some measuring last night after work in hopes of finding an aluminum 3 core radiator.  In order to keep my Flex-A-Lite 398 electric fan, I must find one less than 2.5 inches thick.  This did not seem like it would be too difficult but it required some compromises.

I found many of the Mustang vendors sell Champion Cooling System radiators.  I found a company called LedFoot racing which is a vendor for their parts and called for check sizes.  Unfortunately, I found the direct fit 3 core is right at 2.5 inches. This would not work as the fan would touch the water pump.

I spoke with a man named Jeff and he said I should get an American Eagle 2 core.  The core size is 1 inch rather than 3/4" like on the Champion.  This would be a decent compromise and the radiator is 2 1/8" thick which would fit.  I checked around an could find it cheaper than his price of $169.95. 

I felt bad buying it from someone else after he helped me so I called back and talked to him.  He said he had one is stock and would ship it to me that day.  I asked about pricing and he agreed to sell it for $150.  This worked for me as it was close to what the others were selling for on eBay and I gave him my business in return for the help he provided.


I'd rather the tanks look more similar to the stock design.  However, this is only possible with a brass/copper style or very expensive aluminum radiator.  I wanted the cooling advantage of aluminum but did not want to keep hemoraging money so I went with this one.  I'm sure it will work fine.  Better yet, it will be here Saturday.

2 comments:

The Heggelund said...

how has the AE340 worked? looking at one now and welcome your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks,

JH

Craig said...

I've not had any issues with the radiator. It mounted in the factory location and has held up well.

The Mustang stays cool at speed but can start to run hot when stopped. This could be because of the fan configuration.

If I did it again, I'd get a wider radiator and use two fans. The gap between the two fans would probably even line up with the water pump providing enough clearance to go with a thicker 3" core radiator.