Saturday, January 14, 2012

Starting the Engine


I started this morningby installing spark plugs and connected the plug wires.  I checked the cam card to confirm and the new cam uses the original 289 fring order.  Unfortunately, my MSD Street Fire wires have straight boots and the contact the headers.  I decided to wire tie them out of the way to keep them safe.

I wired up the electric fan using a relay.  I cover the ends of all the spades which connect to the relay.  Unfortunately, I ran out of heat shrink but managed to get it temporarily installed.  I'm expecting a few things I'll need to address before I start driving so I'll add this to the list.

The last item I addressed before attempting to start the engine was to add coolant to the radiator.  I used a 50/50 mix of Prestone anti-freeze.  I had to fill it and wait a few times for the system to completely fill. 


I created a start-up checklist and enlisted the help of my wife and frien (Kyle).  I primed the oil system using a drill with a 1/4" socket.  I removed a valve cover and primed the system until oil was running off all of the roller rockers.  I then reinstalled the valve cover and set the dristributor in about 10 BTDC.

To break in a flat tappet cam, you must run the engine at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM.  There is not sufficient flow at idle but I did not want to just start the car and immediately rev up the motor without knowing the timing.  I connected a vacuum gauge and timing light and assigned had a different person monitor each.  This would keep us from wasting as little time as possible.

We nervously turned the engine over but it took 30 seconds (of separate attempts) before fuel reached the see-through fuel filter.  I could hardly stand to continue turning over the engine but I did not have much of an option.  If they were not so loud, I would have purchased an electric fuel pump to avoid this situation.

Once the fuel reached the engine, it tried to start but the timing seemed to be off.  My wife and Kyle watched with a timing light as I turned over the engine.  I'd have watched and had someone else try to start the car but I just felt much more familiar with the appropriate amount of gas to give the car.  This also gave me a front row seat to see all of the gauges.

We worked on this for a while and finally were able to get the timing close enough to start the car.  It was at about 10 degrees BTDC at 1,000 and at 22 degrees BTDC at 2,000.  This was not as much timing as I wanted but I felt it would be adequate for break in.  I turned the idle stop to hold the car at 2,000 RPM.  The oil pressure was steady at about 65 lbs, all the gauges worked, and there were no exaust leaks.

We continued to monitor the engine and quickly noticed the headers started to change color.  I checked the engine temperature and it was at 160 degrees.  I checked the headers again and they were starting to glow orange.  I hesitated for a minute as the engine was not hot but the headers sure were.   I then turned the engine off after only about 4-5 minutes and started searching for the cause.

All the articles I read on the internet indicated this was because of either a lean mixture, vacuum leak, or inadequate timing.  I checked the intake and all other connections for leaks but found nothing.  I took off the carburetor and switched the front jets from 54's to 56's. 

I primed the oil system again, reinstalled the distributor, and had to work again at getting the timing right to start the car.  We were able to get the timing at 28 degrees BTDC and were back to the break in process at 2,000 RPM.  Unfortunately, the headers again started the turn orange so I turned the car off without pushing it.

I started posting on SBFTech.com about the issue to find a cause.  A few individuals suggested it was because of the preload on the lifters.  If there is too much preload, the valves will not close completely.  I remembered the lifter instructions stated 1 turn of preload but the cam instructions stated .5-.75 turns of preload.  I decided this might be the cause and started setting the preload to .5 turns.  After doing one side of the motor (passenger side), I decided to call it a night and finish in the morning.

The day was a little disappointing.  I'm still shocked at how the headers turned so bright orange.  I did not expect this to go smoothly but I expected a exhaust leak or something small.  I'm hoping I can find out what is happening and get this fixed.  When dealing with breaking-in a cam (and motor), you don't want these problems keeping you from starting, getting the engine to RPM, and running the motor for long enough to break it in.  Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

No comments: