Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Rebuilt Short Block is Ready!

I received a phone call during lunch today from Villa's Motor Works stating my engine was ready.  I took a short lunch and arranged to leave early to pick up the engine.    It was difficult to wait until the end of the day but I somehow managed.

When I arrived, I talked to the owner (Rick) and the worker who assembled my engine (John).  John stated the bottom of the engine "went together like a dream".  John talked to me a while about the engine and had kept all of the original parts (pistons, bearings, rings, freeze plugs, etc) for me.  He also had the boxes and instructions for all the parts I dropped off so I could keep them.

Rick then walked me through the Assembly Data Sheet I received with my motor.  This indicated the torque amounts used on the various components.  Additionally, it provides the main and rod bearing clearances, ring end gaps, and camshaft end play.

Rick talked to me about the use of a break in ZDDP addative for at least the first 500 miles.  He personally does not believe it is required after the first 500 miles. Aside from the standard break-in process for the cam, he did not suggest anything particular for breaking in the engine.  He asked John if he had anything to add and he said, "keep the RPM low for the first 500 miles and don't go over 7,000 RPM after berak-in".  I'd never considered going over about 5,500 RPM so that will not be a problem.

I drove home with the engine in the bed of the truck and then mounted it up on my engine stand. The zero-decked block with my pistons looks simply awesome.  I'm glad I decided to go ahead and get the block zero decked.  All the rod bolts are new.  All the rod and main bolts have the torque compound still on them.

I plan to be as careful and detailed as possible in assembling the engine.  The detail I'll add in the next few days is mostly for me.  It might be overkill but I don't want to question later how I did something. 



 

No comments: