Thursday, January 12, 2012

Carburetor, Distributor, and Valve Cover Install

I started tonight by installing my new valve covers.  I ordered them along with the push rods when I learned the stock covers would no longer work.  Surprisingly, these do not fit either because of the baffles.

I test installed the valve covers using my Fel-Pro VS13264R gaskets and a little Play Doh inside.  This allowed me to best know exactly where the poly locks touched the baffles.  On each spot, I lacked clearance by about 1/8".  I took a body hammer and tapped on the baffles to find I was able to bend them with little trouble and was able to get them to clear.


Before mounting the valve covers, I poured in the Comp Cams 10w30 Break In oil.  I really should have poured it in the lifter valley before intalling the intake but forgot.  There are large holes at the top of the block which allow oil to drain back into the lifter valley.  I poured the oil into those holes hoping I could get some on the cam.  I also filled the Motorcraft FL1A filter I'm using for break-in. 


I then reinstalled my Holley Street Avenger 570 carburetor and connected the fuel lines.  I then installed the distributor (which has a new MSD85832 gear installed) and the spark plug wires.  I ran out of time before I could actually install the spark plugs. 

I need to install the NGK spark plugs and finish wiring the electric fan and carburetor choke before I can work on breaking in the new engine.

No comments: