Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vehicle Inspection and Driving Around

This weekend was the Pinewood Derby and Scouting for Food.  I went with my son to Scouting for Food and then came back to get the car inspected before the Pinewood Derby. 

Everything worked fine in my preliminary check so I headed off for the inspection.  I've gone to the same place for years and they check the cars over pretty well.  This time, however, they did not check much at all.

The guy drove the car into the engine bay, checked the wipers, turned on the headlights, and then looked under the hood.  He never checked the horn, tail lights, parking lights turn signals, or much of anything for that matter.  He just looked the car over briefly and then put on a new inspection sticker.

I was a little worried the car could overhead or the headers would turn orange.  I checked half way to the inspection place and everything was fine.  I drove the car from 2,000 - 3,000 RPM about 15-20 times.  Once I reached 3,000 RPM, I let the engine brake the car back down.  I read this is a decent way to break in an engine so I decided to do it a little on the frist drive. 

I managed to put about 20 miles on the Mustang and even drove my son to the Pinewood Derby in it.  The new radiator kept the temperature at 180 without any trouble.  Everything went well so I'm feeling good.


Pardon the missing rocker molding, I've not drilled holes in the fender for the required brackets. 

1 comment:

James Bondo said...

Sweet! I have the same inspection station!