Saturday, February 7, 2015

Goodguys Preparation - Installing Dynamat

Beginning Friday night, I started working on placing Dynamat in the back of the Mustang.

I installed Dynamat Xtreme from the bottom of the cowl, down the firewall, but stopped immediately before the shifter.  This was done after installing the new floor.  I'd intended to add more to the floor and trunk panel but put it off and moved on to something else.  The exhaust is quite loud so before driving to Goodguys, I decided to install more Dynamat.


I purchased two packages of Dynamat Xtreme (#10435) which is 24 square feet.  I ended up using about 20 square feet and saved just a little.  I covered the entire rear floorboard, the transmission tunnel behind the front seat, and all the panel which separates the truck from the front cabin area.

A part of the project was to make two panels which bolted through existing holes to seal off two larger holes where sound passed from the trunk into the interior.  I cut them out of some of the metal I purchased for the shifter trim ring.  I covered one side in Dynamat and let a bead of RTV dry overnight on the back side as a sort of gasket.  You can see these installed at the upper corners of the panel which divides the passenger compartment from the trunk.




They changed the style of Dynamat Xtreme since I did the front of the car.  The silver colored type is the old style.  The new style has a black coating on it.  I tried to get two packages of the silver type so it would all look the same and thought I was successful until it came in the mail.

I finished the job up this evening and started reinstalling the interior.  As I rolled up the driver rear quarter window, it broke.  After inspecting it, I found one of the rollers which glides on a track moving the window up and drown broke so I'll need to order a new one.  For now, I put it together so I could drive it around and not have stuff laying all over the garage.

No comments: