Saturday, February 28, 2015

Goodguys Preparation - Repairing an Oil Leak

The oil pan has leaked in the Mustang since I rebuilt the engine several years ago.  At first, I thought the engine was leaking from the rear seal as that is where the majority of the oil accumulated.  Over time, I noticed it was actually leaking about 2/3rds of the way back on the passenger side of the oil pan.

This weekend I decided to take the oil pan off to repair the leak.  I used a Fel Pro one piece pan gasket without RTV during the rebuild and hoped to reuse it.  Unfortunately, it ripped when I removed the oil pan from the Mustang. 

I examined the oil pan and found the mounting flange was not flat.  The unevenness around the bolt holes can be barely seen in the following picture.


I spent last Sunday straightening the mounting flange all the way around.  Once it was a flat as possible, I stripped the entire pan and repainted it with a fresh coat of Duplicolor Engine Enamel primer and Ford Blue paint (DE1606).

I purchased another FelPro OS13260T gasket at O'Reilly and then installed the oil pan this weekend.  It was time for an oil change so I put on a new Fram oil filter and some 10w30 Brad Penn oil.  It has rained for days so I've not driven it yet but I'm hopeful this eliminates the oil leak.


No comments: