Sunday, February 15, 2015

Goodguys Preparation - Rear Leaf Springs & More

I purchased a set of Grab-A-Trak leaf springs which arrived this past Friday.  I went with their 4.5 mid eye springs.  These add an extra half leaf at the front to control spring wrap up on acceleration.  The mid eye version should lower the car about an inch from stock height.

Along with the leaf springs, I ordered a set of window rollers for the driver side rear quarter window.  I took everything apart and installed the rollers in about 30 minutes.  I cleaned up the tracks while I was in there to ensure the window worked well.  The picture below shows a blue roller installed and the white one which split in two. 



The bottom leaf of each leaf stack was a little rusty.  I sanded them down on Saturday morning and put a coat of Rustoleum satin black on the bottom facing surface of the leafs.  I let them dry overnight and then started the install on Sunday morning.

I soaked all the bolts in PB Blaster overnight so everything came apart very easily.  The job was very straightforward.  I had my 10 year old daughter help me and we were done in about two hours.  



After putting the Mustang on the ground, I was a little surprised at the ride height.  The leafs are designed to drop the rear 1-1.25" below stock.  Since my stock springs were sagging badly, I expected a half inch drop.  Stupidly, I did not measure right before swapping out the springs but I think the rear end dropped .75 to 1".

The passenger rear side of the Mustang was always higher than the driver side.  I expected it was because of the leaf springs.  Replacing them this weekend confirmed that.  I measured when I was done and it is 25" from the garage floor to the highest point of the fender opening.  

It was raining today so I've not gone for a drive.  I'm ready to try them out and feel the improvement.


No comments: