Saturday, June 13, 2009

Installed New Water Pump

I purchased a water pump yesterday from NAPA. This afternoon, I removed the bad water pump and reinstalled the new one. The two looked identical to one another. They each had some codes in the casting but neither appeared to be original.

The job was not very difficult but took a little while to complete. I had to remove the fan, spacer, water pump pulley, alternator, and all the hoses. I had just enough Kylon blue to paint the new pump with a coat before installing. After I installed the pump and bolted it down, I painted it with another coat to cover the bolt heads also.

I'm disappointed this happened so soon after completing the engine compartment. It took some paint off a few parts and the harmonic balancer. I took care of everything but got a little blue overspray on the fuel line. I wiped it off with some brake cleaner knowing it might take off some of the paint I used on the fuel line. Although it took a little too much paint off the fuel line, I think it still looks ok. There is also a spot on the harmonica balancer which needs a little touch up paint (see final product below).

This morning I went to the 18th Hot Rod Run at Central Park. There were many more muscle cars there this year than in previous years. There were more Camaros and Chevelles than Mustangs but it was still a good show. My engine compartment looks better than most. Once I get the car done, I might go some day.


No comments: