Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Leaking Water Pump

I drove the Mustang to the grocery store on Sunday night. I returned and parked the car in the garage. I walked back out to the garage about 30 minutes later and found a one inch wide stream of water running from under the car to the garage door.

I wiped up the water and looked for the cause briefly. Unfortunately, I could not see the source of the leak.

I arrived home from work today and found the leak had continued and was once again almost to the garage door. I'm glad it is not antifreeze. It is actually Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner and water so it should not hurt anyone.

I checked for the source tonight. It appears the Radiator Cleaner will eat off paint. This made it a little easier to find the source. It seems to be coming from the weep hole in the underside of the water pump. This is an indication of a damaged interal seal. The pump will need to be replaced but at least they are not very expensive ($50-$80).

No comments: