Monday, June 22, 2009

My Father's Day & Promotion Present

When I was recently promoted at work, I received a salary increase. I've been working hard and decided I wanted to spend a little of my new salary on a small gift for myself.

I regularly think of ways to increase the performance of the Mustang. While it is a classic muscle car, it does not really feel like much of one. My first thought was a cam, then I considered a new gear ratio and trac-lok unit, and then finally settled on a new carburetor.

I found it difficult to decided to buy a performance part for the car. While I want better performance, I'm a bit of a penny pincher and have so many other things I could spend my money on repairing. However, it fits the bill for the gift as it is something I want and would not normally buy for myself.

I told Kimberly about my plans and she stated she would pitch in on the part. We would consider her portion as part of my Father's Day present. With the additional funds, I decided to get a Holley Street Avenger 570CFM. This carburetor should be good for the current setup but flow enough for most modifications I would consider making to the Mustang.

My wife placed the order for the carburetor and all the parts to install it today. I hope to find a G-Tech unit on eBay before time to install the carb. I'd like to track the improvement for the swap with such a unit.

I already have a stock Ford intake from a '67 Mustang. It is even of the proper date code for my Mustang. It does not flow as well as a new intake but I'm going to use it as I already have it. It will also keep the engine looking stock.

No comments: