Saturday, August 8, 2009

Installation of Intake and Carburetor II

I made a final cut on the gas line and installed it this morning. I then filled up the radiator and changed the oil. I then tried to start the motor and it started but was not running well.

I checked the timing to find it was 25 BTDC. I could not adjust it to less because the vacuum module of the distributor was hitting the intake. I rotated all the spark plug wires on the cap and rotated the housing. I then could not get the engine to start because the timing was off.

My wife held the timing light as I cranked over the engine. It would start for just a second and she could see the location of the TDC mark. I made two adjustments and the engine started with the timing at 15 BTDC.

The RPM of the engine never seemed to drop. It was then I noticed the stator terminal on the alternator was only putting out 7 volts. I used a jumper to the batter but still did not have much luck. I turned off the car and thought I would watch the Holley tuning video which came with the carburetor again.

The video stated you needed to wait for the engine to warm up and then start with the idle mixture screws. I took a picture of their initial position and then moved them out 1.5 turns as the instructions stated. The engine idle never dropped so I got concerned and tried to turn off the engine. It kept trying to run and died after blowing a mist of gas vapor out the top of the carburetor.

I waited a few hours and then perform the following steps:
1) Checked coolant level
2) Changed choke setting (set wrong from box)
3) Started the car & waited for it to warm up
4) Adjusted the curb idle to 600 RPM
5) Set timing to 15 degrees BTDC
6) Adusted the curb idle to 600 RPM
7) Set the idle mixture screws to get the best vacuum reading
8) Adjusted the curb idel to 600 RPM
9) Set the float levels

This is exactly right according to the instruction video. The engine seems to be running better. I'm going to let it cool and then check the choke setting. Earlier in the day I would get a pop out the exhaust when I blipped the gas. I'll check then to see if it is still happening.

I took the following picture after the first startup. Shortly afterwards, I removed the air cleaner and started tweaking on the carburetor.

No comments: