Monday, August 31, 2009

Ignition Timing Check

I tested my ignition advance on Saturday morning. To test it, I removed the vacuum tube from the distributor and plugged it with a golf tee. I then used a timing light to check the base advance and the mechanical advance at a few RPM points. I recorded the following:

850 - 11 Degrees BTDC
1000 - 11 Degrees BTDC
1500 - 15 Degrees BTDC
2000 - 23 Degrees BTDC
2500 - 29 Degrees BTDC
3000 - 36 Degrees BTDC

With an initial timing of 11 degrees and the 15 degree plate in the distributor, my total advance should be 41 degrees. I did not check the advance at 3500 RPM but I'm sure all 41 degrees is present by that point.

To get better performance, I could replace the other stiff, stock spring with the light version I received in the kit. This would provide all the advance by around 2800. Since I cannot change my vacuum advance settings, I'm concerned this could result in pinging which I would not be able to correct. Since this works well, I will leave it alone for now.

No comments: