Sunday, August 23, 2009

Carburetor Tuning... Still

I've tried numerous different things to get rid of the hesitation on acceleration. I've tried new accelerator pump nozzles, changed the pump cam position, and changed secondary springs. Unfortunately, none of the combinations of things I've tried have fixed the problem.

I removed the spacer today. The spacer should add power but can move it up the power band and create a lean condition. I was not sure this would make much of a difference but it was worth an attempt. I found the hesitation remains but seems to disappear at high RPM (over 2500).

I've asked on the VMF about the situation and I've received a variety of responses. Several suggested new jets, others said new pump cams, and others have questioned the timing. It is unfortunate so many things can cause the same type situation.

I'm going to expore the timing next as I think I've eliminated many of the carburetor variables as being the entire cause. I took the distribution apart and found 15 degree plates. One spring was very tight and the other is soo lose it could fall off. I think I try to find some at a local auto parts store and then check my mechanical advance with a timing light.

No comments: