Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ignition System Upgrade

I removed the distributor cap and top plate today. I wanted to check the internal parts to determine how much mechanical advance was possible. I found a 15 degree arm installed which would provide 30 degrees over the base timing.

The RPM at which the timing increases is controlled by two springs. The stiffer of the two springs was stretched and did not fit properly on the mounting points. The other spring fit well but had less resistance. I'm going to replace these springs while I have the distributor apart. The new springs should allow for full advance by 2800 RPM.

I tried to locate new springs all over the city but no one sells them. I ordered them from Summit with a new coil and some spark plug wires. They should arrive by Friday and I'll install the parts this weekend.

I hope the additional advance corrects the hesitation I feel when accelerating.

No comments: