Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Quarter Mile Test

Although the carburetor hesitation is not fixed, I wanted to see what type improvement switching to the Holley made. It was about 45 degrees outside tonight so it was at least 30 degrees colder than it was when I performed the same test back in July.

I tried to avoid the hesitation and not spin the tires which led to a slow start. I ran up to 100 to make sure there was no issue with the meter as I experienced previously. Despite the slow start and wheel spin, I ran a 16.75 at 85.4.

My time decreased only by a 1/4 second but the MPH increased by 5 MPH. According to a calculator I found on the internet, the best ET possible with this MPH is 15.87. The best ET with my previous MPH was 16.85 (actually ran a 17.0).

My '60 time in July was 2.63 with wheel spin. My '60 time today was 2.83 so I easily lost .2 seconds with my slow start. If I had the same '60 time as before, I would have run a 16.55.

I still run up to 4500 RPM which may or may not be needed. I don't want to do anything more as I'm not sure the engine could handle it. I really only do this when testing the car and try to stay under 4000 the rest of the time.

No comments: