Monday, February 7, 2011

New Exhaust System Purchase

I've mentioned before my exhaust system is in bad condition. The previous owner used what appears to be a shorty style header designed for a different vehicle. Since it did not fit properly, it was cut at the collector and then welded directly to the exhaust tubing.

The exhaust tubing then runs back to two Pro Sound mufflers. The tubing is 2 1/4" and the mufflers appear to be 2 1/2". The gap around the mufflers was then just filled in with an abundance of weld. The tail pipes appear to be slightly slmaller than 2 1/4" but they are welded just as horribly. The passenger side was cut for some reason about 15" from the tail pipe and then welded back together. Each of these welds has a small pinhole in it somewhere.

Since I need to take out the exhaust to paint the underside of the vehicle, I thought now would be a good time to replace everything. I've been looking for a few days and there are some very nice systems but they cost a large amount of money.

I found a Flowmaster American Thunder set which was not too expensive. I'm concerned it is going to be too loud as it uses there Super 44 mufflers. It was the only FLowmaster system I found for my car using 2 1/2" exhaust. There were other kits but they were all much more expensive. The kit is normally $420 but I found it on sale at C J Pony Parts for $350. This is the same as the cheapest price I found on a Pypes tubing only (no mufflers) kit.

I decided to order the Flowmaster kit this morning using a gift card I received for Christmas which put the total kit at $300. Not bad.

No comments: