Friday, February 11, 2011

Exhaust & Driveshaft Removal

My daughter was sick today so I had to stay home from work. However, I managed to spend a little time working on the Mustang.

I started by cleaning up the interior side of the rear fenderwells. There was a little surface rust I removed with a wire wheel followed by sand paper. I then painted these areas with the Krylon Rusty Metal Primer.

After the paint dried and we returned from the doctor, I removed the exhaust system. The exhaust system consist of 2 1/4" non-mandrel bent tubing and Pro Sound mufflers. The mufflers are a three chamber design and are actually for a 2 1/2" system. I measured the bent sections and they are reduced to about 2" in diamter. The system fit horribly, I've very glad to have it out of the vehicle.



I've shown the "headers" before but today I took out the passenger side. They are both shorty headers which were cut at the collector. The primaries are 1 5/8" and the collector is just a mess. plan to replace these but have not decided on the style.



I then removed the drive shaft as it is in the way and needs to be restored. I hit it with a wire wheel a while and then started smoothing it out and getting it ready for paint with some 100 grit sand paper. I did not get to finish the job on the driveshaft before I ran out of time for the day.

1 comment:

magi said...

The exhaust system design now also consider about pollutant contain throw away is limited in order not make many contaminated emission to the air and consider about the voice pollution. Concerning this matter now have been arranged by governmental regulation and run tightly. Car Exhaust Systems