Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rear Frame Rails Stripped & Primed

I worked on the Mustang a little while this afternoon. I stripped the rear frame fails where the leaf springs, parking brake cable, and subframe connectors mount. While this is not the entire frame rail, I figured I'd go ahead and stip this area now as it is completely exposed.

Once I stripped the areas, I coated them with two coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. While the frame rails were not rusty, I've started using Rust Encapsulator for insurance on undercarriage surfaces. The paint serves as a primer and adheres as well as any other locally available primer in a spray can.

My welds on the subframe connectors leave a lot to be desired. I cleaned the up with a grinding disc. I then put some seam sealer over the welds. I sued tape around the area to keep the Eastwood Seam Sealer from going everywhere. The sealer does not clean up well and spreads easily. The tape gives it somewhat of a strange look but at least it keeps the seam sealer where it is needed.

I intend to coat the underside of the floorboards and frame rails with undercoating. I'll not put a finish coat on the frame rails and just wait to do the undercoating. I'd put a coat of Extreme Chassis Black on for added insurance but have found there are issues with other items adhering to it.

I'm now left with the following task list before I can move on to the floorboard:
- Fill Holes in Seat Pan
- Seam Seal Rear Torque Box
- Create Tab for Front Subframe Area
- Strip Transmission Crossmember
- Strip Front Frame Rails & Prime
- Weld Driver Toe Board
- Finish Work on Underside of Toe Boards

No comments: