Sunday, February 13, 2011

Patriot Header Order & Garage Clean-Up

I've researched various headers for my Mustang for a while debating the best option. I'd like to not compromise on performance.

I've researched the Hooker Competition and Heddman Elite long tube headers. I've found pictures on them installed on vehicles similar to mine. With each, they tend to hang about an inch below the front sub-frame. The reason I've heard is they make them so they will also work for a 351 engine which has exhaust ports and inch higher.

Many of those I asked on VMF and StangFix stated they wished they had gone with shorty headers. This avoid problems with ground clearance. Additionally, there is more room in the engine compartment to work and they don't need to be removed to remove the starter or transmission. Unfortunately, most of the shorty headers I looked at would not fit with a stock clutch linkage. The Heddman Elites would fit but the primary tubes are only 1 1/2" instead of 1 5/8".

The Patriot Clippsters however are 1 5/8" primaries and fit. The Clippster's are sold for $322.95 with $14.95 shipping through Summit. I received an email yesterday that CJ Pony Parts was running their 15% off discount again this weekend. It applied toward these exact headers. The price after the 15% discount was $285.55 and the shipping was free. This placed it at about $52 below what it would cost through Summit so I purchased them. ... I only worked on the Mustang a little today. I put the first coat of paint (Extreme Chassis Black) on the drive shaft. I then cleaned up all the dirt, rust, and metal particles from the garage floor. I saved the floor using cardboard but it is still fairly dirty.

No comments: