Saturday, January 10, 2009

Proportioning Valve Purchase

I've come to trust the products I order from NPD without question. They sell the best quality parts, have everything in stock, and have excellent customer service. However, I experienced my first problem with an order from NPD.

I ordered a new proportioning valve for the Mustang from NPD. I wanted something original looking (no adjustable, knob style piece). While there are many places available for less, I purchased the piece (NPD# 2B091-20BA) from NPD. I trusted it would be the best of the parts available but I was incorrect.




The piece arrived in a box with an MBM logo and no instructions. I opened the box and found the piece was much larger than expected. Due to the size, it was clear it could not go in the original location. The size of the low brake fluid sender was also too large for the stock connector.

I decided to go ahead and find installation instructions on the internet. Using the PV2 cast number of the part and the box logo, I found the company which sells the part on the internet. I discovered the part is a stock GM proportioning valve. The MBM company produces a Ford version so I'm not certain why NPD would sell me this one.

I decided to search eBay to see if I could find a pigtail connector for the sender. I then discovered this same part is being sold new all over eBay for $50 - $60. A company called Pirate Jack sells the part for MBM at about the same prices of for a little more you can have the installation bracket (one was not included), pigtail sender wiring, and brake lines.
http://www.piratejack.net/Proportioning-Valves/PV2-Brass-Disc-Drum-Proportioning-Valve.html

I called NPD and told them the part was not what I expected and I wanted to return the piece. Once they agreed and updated their records, I told them about the price difference I found on the internet and the disappointment I have with my purchase. The representative was understanding and said he was amazed at the other prices. Despite their perfect handling of the situation, I still feel ripped off.

Update (01/13/09) - I posted about this situation on the VMF forum and Rick (NPD VP) responded. He stated they were using a overpriced supplier and recently located a new supplier. He stated once they clear existing inventory they will begin selling the part in the $60 range. I've already ordered a replacement unit from Pirate Jack which is a Ford replacement part and mailed the GM one back to NPD.

No comments: