Saturday, January 24, 2009

Coil Spring Cover Restoration

Below is a picture of one of the two unrestored coil covers which mount in the front fenderwells. These covers are mounted with six nuts and bolts through the fenderwell. They hold a rubber bumper to stop excessive movement of the upper control arm and cover the top of each coil spring.



I stripped the outer surface of these covers on January 3rd. The inside surface is very irregular so the sanding disc I used on the outside was not very helpful. I finished stripping the inner surface using the media blasting cabinet at my parents this weekend. The process was slow because these parts were painted by a dipping process at the factory which left a generous amount of paint on each piece.

I placed the nuts and bolts on on the pieces so I would not lose them. In the picture above, the bolts are actually installed from the wrong side. The bolts have an achor design on them and I have a new set from Mustangs Unlimited which my brother got me for christmas. I blasted the nuts originally used and will repaint them as they are covered with undercoating when installed.

I've put two coats of Kylon primer, Krylon 1613, and 3M 08881 Undercoating on each coil cover.




No comments: