Thursday, January 1, 2009

Patch Panels (Part 2)

There is only one area of underhood rust which I must address. The rust is on the opposite side of a foot operated windshield washer pump in the driver floorboard. It seems this pump leaked water down the mounts to the back of the fenderwell. The metal at the base of each of the four mounting points rusted through.

The area was not as visible with the undercoating in place. Once I stripped the undercoating, I covered the area in Rust Encapsulator. It appeared as follows when I started this morning.


I cut a patch panel from a the remainder of the battery apron I purchased from NPD. I cut the patch panel first without too much trouble. I then used the patch panel to mark the area on the car to be removed. This cut on the vehicle took a little longer due to the limited work area. However, using a saber saw, angle grinder, and Dremel, I was able to get the piece cut out.

Once the patch panel was created, I needed to reform part of the metal on the car. I heated the metal and then used a hammer and dolly to hammer it flat. Once I paint and undercoat the area, it will look original to anyone but a Mustang expert.

No comments: