Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bellhousing Cleaning & Transmission Dissasembly

I soaked the bellhousing for a while yesterday and cleaned it up this morning. The part came really clean despite the large amount of grease on it. The inside is as clean as the outside. After I took this picture, I removed the clutch lever and will restore it over the next few weeks.



I soaked the tail housting also and it turned out nice. There is still grease residue which would not come out of the inside. I'll need to get a brush which will fit down the middle to clean it further.



This afternoon I pulled all the gears out of the transmission. It took a little longer than I expected. It was like a big puzzle you had to take your time to get apart. The bearings had the FoMoCo markings on them so this transmission has never been rebuilt. Considering the condition, I would say the transmissions must be built really well from the factory.

The case is now empty and I'll be able to clean it thoroughly. I'll then rebuild it in the next few weeks.

No comments: