Friday, November 13, 2009

Random Transmission Preparation

I spent a little time this evening restoring the shift linkage for the transmission. These long parts were rather dirty but cleaned up easily. As I cleaned the dirt off, they appeared to have a black finish originally. Once completely clean, I primered the parts and painted them satin black with Krylon 1613.

There are two rectangular pieces of metal which connect the shift rods to the transmission shift levers. I cleaned the grease off of these tonight and put them in a large container of diluted phosphoric acid. This will give the parts a nice phosphate coating which should look nice and keep them from rusting. I added a few bolts into the container as well as the top plate for the transmission.

I soaked the bearing retainer last nice in Gunk engine cleaner. Tonight I gently scrubbed it with a brass brush and all the grease came off without any trouble. I primed the part and then installed the oil seal. Once this was done, I went ahead and decided to test out my new paint on the part. I used the VHT Cast Iron (SP997) paint I purchased from Mustangs Unlimited and it looks great. It has the correct color with just the right amount of metallic flake.

No comments: