Thursday, November 5, 2009

Main Transmission Case Cleaned

I've worked on cleaning the main portion of the transmission case for the past few nights. I finished up the work tonight by removing the last of the grease deposits.

I cleaned it using Gunk engine cleaner, brake cleaner, and a wire wheel. To get to the small corners, I used a tiny wire wheel on a dremel. When I was done, there was no sign of grease on the case.

I then painted it with some Rustoleum primer for rusty parts. I used this because there was a slight bit of surface rust on the piece. I wiped it down with pre-paint prep but it did not get all the rust off. I'm not concerned and think it will end up looking great.

I'll leave the part in primer while I rebuild the transmission. I'll primer the front bearing retainer and top plate separately also. Once rebuilt and reassembled, I'll paint it with a cast blast paint which resembles the appearance of cast iron (but does not rust).

No comments: