Friday, November 20, 2009

Transmission Installation

I made it home tonight and cleaned up the bolts for the bellhousing. Everyone was feeling a little lazy and just watching TV. I decided I would go ahead and install the bellhousing. Before long, I was working the transmission into place.

I moved the transmission under the car using the creaper. I then laid the wood support block I created on the bottom of the transmission and rolled it onto the jack. Once balanced on the jack, I filled the transmission with some 85W90 gear oil I purchased from NAPA (same type used previously). This is much better than building some crazy tube to squeeze the fluid into the transmission after it is installed.

Installing a transmission by yourself is not an easy job. Balancing it on the jack is not incredibly difficult but a little dangerous. When you then have to line up the throw out bearing and input shaft, two hands no longer seems to be enough. Adding to the difficulty was the fear of scratching up the freshly painted transmission tunnel.

While it would have been nice to have an extra set of hands, I don’t know if having a helper would have been very good. This is one of those jobs you somewhat feel your way through. If you feel a little resistance on one side you are often off center. If you don’t have perfect communication with the person helping you just waste more time pushing when you are off center.

After I put the transmission in, I bolted it to the bell housing and then put the support bracket in place. I decided to call it a night as I had actually planned on taking care of all this tomorrow.

No comments: