Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Removing Flywheel, Block Plate, and Starter

The Mustangs Unlimited order arrived today. All of the parts arrived except for the Centerforce pressure plate which seems to have been shipped separately. I checked the order and everything looked great. The clutch disc looks similar to the original except the material is different. It is not much thicker than the one I removed. Seems the clutch might not have been that old after all.

I had Kimberly hold a socket wrench at the crank pulley while I removed the flywheel bolts tonight. The ’67 Shop Manual states they are torqued to 80 ft/lbs but it seemed like much more. With only a little struggle, I was able to remove all six of the bolts.

The flywheel came of fairly easily and is heavier than you might imagine. Since the starter is trapped by the exhaust, it was held in place by the flywheel. Once the flywheel came loose, the starter did also. I spent a little time juggling these two before getting them safely to the ground. I then removed the block plate from the motor.

Since Aaron had a flag football game and Cub Scouts tonight, I did not have much time to work on the car. After removing the parts, I painted the transmission mount and then worked on cleaning up the starter. By the end of the night, I had the starter casing in primer. I’ll let it dry overnight tonight and put a couple light coats of black paint on the casing just to improve the appearance.

No comments: