Monday, November 16, 2009

Input Shaft Ready

I went to Vila’s at lunch today. They had a transmission plug I needed to cover the end of one shift rail passage. This part was not provided in the kit I purchased. They also agreed to remove the old bearing and press on the new one. By 2 o’clock they called to say the job was done and the total charge was only $10.50. This is much better than the $80 I paid to have the rear axle bearings pressed on!

I posted on the VMF Concours forum this evening about the undercarriage color for my Mustang. I was always led to believe the undercarriage was a red oxide color. When I was stripping the undercarriage, I did not find any paint on the tunnel but did on the transmission cross support. The paint I found was a medium gray color. Ends up Dearborn used left over paint on the undercarriage so many were painted gray (or other colors).

When I made it home from work, I painted the transmission tunnel with Krylon 1613. I used a total of three coats with the second and third coat being rather thick. I tried to keep overspray from entering the engine compartment using cardboard to block off the area. Hopefully, I was successful but I won’t know until I can clean all the dirt on the car from stripping the undercarriage.

After painting the underside, I took pictures of the parts I’ve restored, installed the plug in the shift shaft hole of the transmission, and I dried off the bolts I had in a mixture of phosphoric acid and water. I’m fairly confident I’ll be able to reinstall the transmission this Saturday so I did not wear myself out with work. I’ll slowly progress through the rest so I’m ready on Saturday.

No comments: