Monday, November 9, 2009

Restoration of Transmission Mount

I stripped and primed the transmission mount tonight. As with all the other parts, it was covered in dirt and grease. It took a while to clean it up to the point it could be painted. I then coated it with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer. I'll paint the part tomorrow night with some black paint after it dries overnight.

The transmission mount has a date of 04 11 stamped on it indicating it was made April 11. There are similar stampings on all the sheetmetal parts. However, this part has a strange R stamped on the side with a different type stamp than is used on all the other parts. I'm not sure why it is included it is very clear now that I've stripped the part.

My goal for the transmission project is to have it complete by Thanksgiving. I'm currently on track. I've a little sheet of tasks in timeline order so I can finish. Might sound crazy but I want to be a little more planful so I don't run into another 9 month project like I did last year.

Once it is close to Christmas, I'll start the rear suspension and undercarriage project. I'll likely start with the rear axle first. Once Christmas is over, I'll move on to stripping the undercarriage. I like this approach as it saves the dirty work until after the holidays are over.

No comments: