Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Installation of 3rd Member

I decided I would install the 3rd member tonight. Three days have past since I painted the housing so the paint is now fully dry.

I coated the gasket with RTV and then waited 10 minutes for the RTV to setup. I then put the gasket on and slid on the 3rd member. I then noticed the gasket was too large and would be visible all around the outside of the 3rd member. This detracted from the appearance but there was nothing I could really do at this point.

I placed a copper washer on each stud and then started hand tightening the nuts. I could only tighten them so far with my hand and then used a socket wrench. After working each one down, I noticed the paint chipped from the 3rd member around every bolt. I thought I would touch them up later but the more I tightened, the more the washer expanded, and the more paint came off.

I took all the nuts and washers off. I tried to clean up the chipped areas but it does not look near as good as it once did. I installed the washer and nut with the paint wet so it would sink in rather than chip. This worked but the paint still wrinkled up around the nut. Additionally, the clear coat wrinkled and cracked in several areas.

I should have called it quits earlier but kept pushing on and getting more and more aggrivated. I've called it a night now. I have all the nuts on except the one which holds on the tag. I can't get it tight and keep the tag straight. If I try to hold it straight, the tag just starts to bend up because it is so thin.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

No comments: