Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Installation of Rear Gears

I dropped off my 3rd member, 3.25 Motive Gear set, and Detroit True-Trac differential at J&K Transmission today.

I asked about the warranty and was told they do not provide a warranty since they are using my parts. However, he would show me the ring gear pattern when complete. He said there have been recent issues with alignment of ring and pinion sets. He believed it was because of the location where some of the sets are now made.

I told him the Timken bearing set I ordered from Summit did not have they right pinion bearing. He looked and immediately said I need an early style bearing. The then said the bearing number, walked out into the shop, and immediately returned with the bearing. I was a little suprised he knew the exact bearing I needed and had it in stock.

He called a little later this afternoon and said the carrier bearings are not correct. He rattled off several different bearing numbers and stated he wanted to me to confirm. The Detroit website stated the carrier used stock bearings. I called the Summit Tech department. In under 2 minutes they told me I would need a RAT-9011 bearing. I called back and Jason said he would get the bearing and finish up the job.

No comments: