Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cleaning & Waiting for Paint to Dry

I started off the morning by installing the axle seals. I used National 9569S seals. They are thicker than the NAPA ones I used about six months ago. I installed them with a seal driver from NAPA because they deformed slightly when I used a socket on the last set.

I then put a second coat of paint on the backing plates and the axle flange bolts.I cleaned up the garage and organized everything for reassembly. Finally, I cleaned up the mounting surfaces of the axles. I then put a little Krylon Satin Black on the ends of the axles.

The Extreme Chassis Black paint seems dry enough to assemble but I'm going to wait the full 72 hours. By waiting, I won't worry about the painted parts sticking together during assembly.

This picture captures what I like about restoring the Mustang. There is nothing better than well restored parts ready for reassembly. Just looking at the picture makes you want to sit down and put it all together.


No comments: