Saturday, January 9, 2010

Painted 3rd Member

I painted the pinion last night using the VHT Cast Iron paint (SP997) which I used on the transmission case. I put a total of three coats on it. According to the can, it takes 7 days for the paint to fully cure.

I cleaned up the pinion gear, ring gear, and carrier this morning. I want everything to be clean for the installation of the new gears. I also want to take the assembled unit in for the installation of new gears. I believe it would be helpful for them to see the location of all the bearing as they likely don't rebuild one of these 3rd members very often. I also plan to take the torque specification pages from the '67 Shop Manual.

This afternoon I cleaned up the main case for the third member. I really don't think their were any paint marks on the outside of the case. It looked as if their could be some white near the fill plug. It was so faint and small I'm not sure if was original or just white dirt mixed into the grime.

I cleaned all the grease off with the Super Clean grease remover. This cleaner actually removes the red paint from the case also. I used a wire wheel to clean some of the spots of thicker paint or grease. I removed most of the original paint and then wiped down the entire case with Acetone. Once the Acetone dried, I painted the main case with the Brite Touch paint.

After the paint dried, I reassembled the third member. I'll find a box to pack everything in and take it to J&P Transmission for installation of the new gears this coming week.

No comments: