Saturday, January 2, 2010

Begining Rear Axle Restoration

I decided to start off the new year with a Mustang project. I want to go ahead and restore the rear axle. I won't strip and restore the rear undercarriage at this point. Work is going to be very hectic for the next few months so I'll focus on this small project for now.

The back side of the rear axle is fairly clean but has surface rust. The front is covered in grease from a leaky pinion and also from the transmission shift seals.

I received new miloden spring shackles and U-joints for Christmas. I'll use these but need to place an order with NPD to get the rear brake line. I'm sure I'll find other things I need but I'll wait to place the order until I am almost done so I don't forget anything.



To remove the rear axle, I did the following:

1) Jacked up the car until the rear tires were about two inches off
the ground and then put it on stands.
2) I then used my jack on one side of the axle at a time to take
weight off the left springs.
3) Took off the stock nut, u-bolt nuts, and shackle nuts. With these
loose, the spring feel to the floor.



4) I then removed the parking brake lines and disconnected the
brake line. Oddly, the clip which holds the rubber brake hose
to the body was one of the more difficult parts to remove.
The nuts were all a little rusty but not bad.
5) I removed a wheel at a time and laid the axle on my creeper
and pulled it out from under the car.





The rear axle weights a tremendous amount. I ate supper and then after the kids went to bed started work again. I removed the drums, axles, brake assemblies, and then the brake lines.

I loosened all the nuts which hold the pumpkin to the axle. I took all of them off except four which were fairly loose. I then tried to tap around the edge with a rubber hammer to brake the seal. Unfortunately, I've had no luck. I'll finish this part up in the morning and drain the fluid from the axle.

No comments: